A lot of the country will be getting in there cars to travel around NZ for the Christmas/NY period. And you know what that means… traffic.
Luckily, NZTA have released this handy list outlining the biggest traffic hotspots, and when each spot is expected to have the heaviest bouts of congestion.
Below is a rough outline of the heaviest area, and to find out when they will be at their heaviest, you can use NZTA’s interactive tool HERE.
- SH1 – Takanini (South of Auckland)
SH2 – Maramarua (East of SH1/SH2 Interchange)
SH1 – between Puhoi and Wellsford
Bay of Plenty
- SH29 – Kaimai (West of Tauranga)
SH2 – between Paeroa and Tauranga
- SH1 – between Ashburton and Christchurch
SH7 – Lewis Pass
SH73 – Arthur’s Pass
- SH1 – Waipara (North of Christchurch)
- SH2 – Norsewood between Hastings and Woodville SH3
SH1 – between Waiouru and Taihape
- SH6 – between Nelson and Blenheim
- SH5 – Te Pohue (North of Napier)
- SH1 – Kawakawa (South of Paihia/Bay of Islands)
SH1 – Whangarei
- SH6 – Queenstown
- SH1 – Taupiri (North of Hamilton)
SH1 – Karapiro (South of Cambridge)
- SH2 – Rimutaka Hill between Wellington and Featherston
SH1 – Waikanae (Kapiti Coast)