Severe weather hammering parts of the country is set to die down throughout Monday morning, but Metservice warns it’s only a brief reprieve.

Heavy rain caused severe flooding in the Golden Bay area over the weekend, while powerful winds cut electricity in Taranaki, disrupted flights, and forced the closure of Wellington CBD’s Vivian Street overnight on Sunday after windows were blown out of a building.

In Auckland, Victor was reporting 15 outages remaining around 5am on Monday, affecting about 1200 households.

Torrential rain hits Wellington at the weekend.

Torrential rain hits Wellington at the weekend.

The weather began easing overnight, though downpours could continue around Mt Taranaki, Otago and the Tararua Range into early Monday morning.

Lower Queen Street in Richmond on Sunday morning after the storm hit the Nelson region.

However, gales would ease everywhere by midday, as a deep low east of Canterbury continued moving away from the country, MetService said.

There was more bad weather on the way from Tuesday, the forecaster said.

A front bringing heavy rain and northwest gales was approaching the lower South Island, and was set to move northwards over the country during Wednesday, MetService said.

A sign on Main Road Hope, Nelson, lies victim to the wild weather.


A sign on Main Road Hope, Nelson, lies victim to the wild weather.

Rainfall in Fiordland would likely reach warning levels late on Tuesday, with potential for warning levels in Westland, too. Lesser levels of rain were expected as the front moved north.

Gales could also become severe in Fiordland and exposed parts of Southland, Otago and Canterbury on Tuesday and Wednesday, and northwest gales could turn severe in Wellington, Wairarapa and Marlborough for a time on Wednesday.

NZ Transport Agency said Inland Kaikoura Rd from Waiau to Kaikoura was was yet to reopen after being closed by flooding on Sunday.

The wild sea at Plimmerton, north of Wellington, on Sunday.

State Highway 73 west of Arthur’s Pass is still closed after large slips cut the route during the bomb low in the middle of last week.
SH6 from Queenstown to Kingston also remained closed by flooding on Monday morning, as was SH8 from Alexandra to Milton and SH90 from Tapanui to Waikoikoi.