Sometimes the weather can be a little bit too much… even for the most brave Skiers and boarders. If you’ve come up for a day (or two) and want to make the most of your time when Mount Ruapehu is closed, why not check out these places?
- Have an Adrift Guided Outdoor Adventure! – Trek in amongst three volcanoes, craters, native rain forests, rivers, moon landscapes and glaciers in the Tongariro National Park.Adrift provides a professional and comprehensive guided trip, tailored to meet your individual needs. They can arrange transport, accommodation, all meals, all equipment, professional guides and instruction. All you need is to turn up with what you are wearing and a warm smile, they’ll provide the rest!
- Have fun out in the back country with Ruapehu Adventure Rides – Ruapehu Adventure Rides offers quided quad bike,and side by side tours over farm land, native bush, natural stream also over looking the famous Raurimu Spiral and Tongariro National Park, 1/2 hour, 1 hour, 2 hours, 1/2 day and full day trips.
- RAG2E – Rides And Guides 2 Enthral – RAG²E is offering a service of guided mountain bike trips and tours on trails existing around Mt Ruapehu in the Tongariro and Whanganui National Parks. They cater for riders of all levels of fitness and skill. From the adrenaline filled thrill seeker to complete first time on bike type of character. Their selection of trails can provide an adventure to suit all.
- Play golf up at Mini Golf at Schnapps – Pop in and check out the “Brand New” 18 Hole Mini Golf Course. Great fun for all ages and some of the best views in the world!
- Indoor Rock Climbing! – There are two awesome places in the Ruapehu region who you can rock climb with: National Park Backpackers Climbing Wall OR Vertigo Climbing Centre Ohakune!
- See the region from a different point of view with Mountain Air Volcanic Flights – Mountain Air is uniquely located with its very close proximity to Tongariro National Park – just 50 metres from the park boundary. We operate 364 days of the year weather permitting from our base at Mt Ruapehu, Chateau airfield on SH 47 but also fly from Taupo Airport, Turangi and Taumaranui Airfields. Fly Mountain Air Volcanic Flights for your volcanic and heritage scenic flight adventure.
- Have an adventure with Mountain Bike Station – The Mountain Bike Station offers high quality bike rentals, Shuttle Transfers and self guided Mountains to Sea Cycle Trail tours for free and independent travellers as well as Schools and Corporate groups. Our professional, friendly and knowledgeable staff are always happy to advise on the best places to ride in the area.
- Float down the river with Canoe Safaris Rangitikei River Adventures – They offer one to five day fully guided and catered canoe tours along the Rangitikei River which carves its way through the steep deep gorges of the Kaimanawa and Ruahine ranges on its journey to the Tasman Sea. Canoe and Kayak rental also available.
- Check out Mellonsfolly Ranch home of the Old West Town – Mellonsfolly Ranch is home to the Old West Town, an authentic western town situated on the Central Plateau of the North Island only a short drive from Mt Ruapehu. Deliberately remote, Mellonsfolly Ranch is truly at the end of the road. Located on one thousand acres of unspoiled native bush in one of New Zealand’s hidden valleys. Step back in time and experience where the charm of the Old West mingles gracefully with the luxury of the Victorian Era.
- Relax in Tokaanu thermal springs – The thermal waters and steam in generations past was used for puia (cooking with the steam) and boiling harakeke (flax) for raranga (weaving). This still happens today. Adults and children alike can enjoy the public pool to their hearts content all day if they wish, and the private pools at night with the stars shinning bright and the occasional snow flutter, brings out the romantic side of one.
A few kilometres North-West of Turangi on SH41. Just off the main road in the tiny township of Tokaanu.
- Indulge in a slice of adventure with Tongariro River Rafting – This half-day Tongariro River journey is one of the best rafting adventures in NZ. The rapids are Grade 3, which makes this an ideal adventure for expert or first-time rafters alike. In two hours you navigate over 60 roller coaster rapids with an expert guide at the helm. A large part the top section of this trip can only be accessed by raft or kayak so you’ll see plenty of spectacular unspoilt wilderness and may catch a glimpse of the protected “whio” or native blue duck. Our guides are qualified rafting professionals and our gear is top quality.
- Check out the cuuuutest Alpacas at Nevalea Alpacas – They operate alpaca treks through the summer months, where visitors can walk an alpaca around the farm and see hundreds of alpaca come to greet them in the hills, spectacular views surrounded by alpacas. They also offer a shorter alpaca walk throughout the year as another option.Visit the farm shop, where everything is made from the alpaca at Nevalea, from designer knitwear through to alpaca blankets and knitting yarn.
- Be amazed by the Kakahi Glow Worms – A visit to the Kakahi glowworms is a great way to finish off your day – take a drive down there after dark and marvel at this free attraction put on by NZ’s amazing wildlife! The glowworms are about a 15-20min drive from Taumarunui Holiday Park.
- Experience a time forgotten with Forgotten World Adventures – Forgotten World Adventures provide RailCart tours along the decommissioned railway line of the Forgotten World Highway and jet boat journeys on the Whanganui River. Learn of a history unique to New Zealand and share the stories of our past.
- ZOOM around a time long forgotten with Forgotten World Jet – Venture through white water rapids, take in the spectacular scenery of both rural farmland and the hidden depths of the Whanganui National Park. Learn about the unique history of Maori on the river, the steamboats and the early European settlements and attempts to farm this rugged environment.
- Have a walk around the National Army museum – Located at the foot of Mt Ruapehu, visitors can be inspired by real-life soldier’s stories, discover New Zealand’s military history and reflect on how conflict has shaped our nation. Must see attractions include our Memorial Greenstone Wall, Extensive Medal Collection, Artillery Collection, Iconic Military Vehicles, Life-like Displays, Soldiers’ Personal Stories, Kids Headquarters and our Research Centre.