PHOTO/RNZ

Sourced from Stuff.co.nz

Elton John’s next two Auckland concerts are to go ahead despite having to call off last night’s performance due to walking pneumonia.

The distraught performer, 72, had to leave stage midway through the performance at Mt Smart.

The superstar, who earlier needed medical assistance while on stage, broke down in tears and needed to be assisted from the stage after attempting to launch into Daniel.

A statement released through a publicist this morning said: “Elton John was disappointed and deeply upset at having to end his Auckland concert early last night.

“He is resting today, and doctors are confident he will recover.

“At this stage, all remaining shows will go ahead as planned.”

The singer broke down in tears during his Auckland show, leaning on the piano before leaving the stage.

He had attempted to start singing Daniel, but couldn’t talk.

“I’ve just completely lost my voice. I can’t sing,” John told the sold-out crowd at Mt Smart Stadium.

“I’ve got to go. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

People in the crowd were in tears after witnessing the world-famous singer break down and be escorted from the stage, the end of an emotional night for the legendary musician.

After his second song, All the Girls Love Alice, John told the full house, constantly on their feet, that he had been diagnosed with “walking pneumonia” earlier on Sunday.

Also known as atypical pneumonia, it is a bacterial infection that affects the upper and lower respiratory tract. It’s not as serious as other forms of pneumonia and doesn’t usually require hospitalisation, but symptoms can last between a week and a month.

He is due to play two more Auckland shows – Tuesday, February 18 and Thursday, February 20.

There is no word yet on if there will be refunds from Sunday night’s performance or if Tuesday and Thursday will go ahead.

The Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour will be John’s last-ever shows in New Zealand.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here