- This event has passed.
The Tom Campbell Big Air 2019
21 September @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
See some of Mt Ruapehu’s & New Zealand’s best Skiers and Snowboarders throw down on the North Island’s largest jump.
Tom grew up skiing Tūroa & worked as a groomer driver for several years, being heavily involved in building Tūroa Parks. Tom built parks around the world and in the last six New Zealand seasons of his life he worked at Cardrona, where he created what was regarded by many professional freestyle athletes as ‘the best jump in the world’.
Prior to Tom’s tragedy he had wanted to bring his southern mates to Mt. Ruapehu for a taste of northern hospitality at what was coined the inaugural TCI, unfortunately that never happened!
A talented skier & key pillar of the NZ freeski community, Tom is dearly missed. We will continue to celebrate his life by putting on an event that is all about going big, having fun & unleashing creativity. See you there along with these talented athletes:
- Nico Porteous (Olympic and X Games Bronze Medallist) – 17 Year Old Olympic Bronze Medallist. He has followed that up with his first two World Cup podiums this year in China & Canada. Along with his first X games Medal too. Nico is in a training block at Cardrona currently. Working hard on the snow and trampoline to have a new and competitive run for the coming season.
- Miguel Porteous (Kiwi Olympian and X Games Silver Medallist) – 20 year old X Games Silver Medallist and Olympian. Home Resort Cardrona NZ, Fresh off World cup and Dew Tour podiums this Northern Winter and just finished the first World Cup of the 2020 season, The NZ winter Games. Next up for both brothers is a pre-season training camp in Austria before the season kicks off in Colorado, USA.
- Jossi Wells – Olympian and X Games Gold Medallists
- Beau-James Wells – Olympian and 2018 Opening Ceremony Flag Bearer
- Jackson Wells – Olympian
- Laura Wotton (Learnt to ski at Tūroa) – FIS Event Winner
- Tui Wikohika (Raetihi local!) – Local promising Snowboarder
- Corrah Phillips – World Cup Snowboarder
- Margaux Hackett – World Cup Skier