Following 35 new community cases of COVID-19 have been reported on Monday, and 60 on Sunday, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced the following measures.
- Auckland will stay at alert level 3 for another week.
- Waikato will remain in alert level 3 until 11.59pm on Thursday, October 14. Cabinet will review these settings on Wednesday.
- Northland will remain in alert level 3 until 11.59 pm on Thursday, October 14. Cabinet will review these settings on Wednesday.
- Auckland schools will not reopen on October 18 as previously decided.
- Healthcare workers will be required to be fully vaccinated by December 1. The first dose is required by October 30.
- Teachers and education staff must be fully vaccinated by January 1, 2022. The first dose is required by November 15. Schools will be required to maintain a register of their staff’s vaccination status.
Arden said “New Zealand is at one of the trickiest and most challenging moments in the Covid-19 pandemic so far”
“However, there is a clear path forward in the coming months in which New Zealanders should be able to move to living with fewer restrictions and more freedoms as a result of higher levels of vaccination.”
The Prime Minister announced that New Zealand has now surpassed the United States, Australia, and Germany on first doses.